Pane Frattau - Sardinia Style Lasagna
PANE FRATTAU -SARDINIA STYLE LASAGNA
This recipe is based on the traditional, unleavened Sardinian bread “pane carasau”, softened using mutton-broth, and transformed into a sort of lasagna, supporting layers of tomato sauce and pecorino cheese.
Ingredients & Directions for 4 people
• 8 sheets of “pane carasau” bread, the round, dry, unleavened Sardinian flatbread. This bread is found in many areas of the world and it comes in 2 sizes: small (radius of about 10 cm) or large (about 30 cm). We suggest the small to make individual portions. The bread has 2 sides: “smooth” and “rough”
• 4 cups of meat or vegetable broth, preferably homemade with sheep’s meat
• 4 extra-large eggs
• Freshly grated pecorino made in Sardinia, Italy. Choose a mature “stagionato”
For the Sauce
• One 800 gr can of tomatoes, preferably Italian
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 clove of garlic, peeled and cut into slivers
• 1 onion, peeled and coarsely cut
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 4 large fresh basil leaves
Place canned tomatoes in a medium-sized saucepan with the olive oil, garlic, onion, salt to taste and the basil leaves; simmer for about 20 minutes. Add water if it seems to be reducing.
Set the first sheet of pane carasau, rough side down, on each individual plate, pour 1/2 cup of the broth over it and let soak for 5 minutes. You may want to warm the plates before using them. Pour the tomato sauce – very warm- over each sheet (smooth side up) and spread it out gently. Add grated cheese. Fold the overhanging pieces of the bread inward to reproduce the shape of the dish itself. Set the second sheet of bread in a plate pour 1/2 cup of the broth over it and let soak for 5 minutes. Carefully transfer each bread sheet onto the individual plates to cover. Add some tomato sauce. Place a medium-sized saucepan with 3 cups of cold water over medium heat. When the water reaches a boil, add salt to taste. Break 1 egg in the water and carefully, using a small spoon, fold the white over the egg yolk; simmer for 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the poached egg onto the bread and tomato sauce of one of the dishes. Repeat the same procedure with the other 3 eggs. Add tomato and sprinkle lots of grated cheese over the plates and serve, still very warm.
Vino Cannonau (red and strong) is the standard for this dish.
Motus in Sardinia designed this vacation for its friends, and we are now pleased to offer it to you! The cookery vacation could be booked for any day of the year, based upon availability of the chef. A booking can be done for a minimumPriceStarts at 1.050 euro per personDestinationSardinia
Secret places opened just for you! Memories that will last a lifetime.DestinationSardinia
Let us be your trusted friend in Sardinia! We'll show you the unique insights of the island.DestinationSardinia